Friday, December 21, 2012

What is the most likely reason for the development of a vitamin B12 deficiency?

Q. What is the most likely reason for the development of a vitamin B12 deficiency?




1. Increased excretion

2. Inadequate absorption

3. Inadequate intake

4. Increased losses in food preparation

A. Inadequate intake of vitamin 12 or u can not absorb it,a deficiency in either B12 or folate can lead to macrocytic anemia, a condition characterized by the production of fewer, but larger red blood cells and a decreased ability to carry oxygen. Due to the anemia, patients may be weak, light-headed, and short of breath. A deficiency in B12 can also result in varying degrees of neuropathy, nerve damage that can cause tingling and numbness in the patient�s hands and feet and mental changes that range from confusion and irritability to severe dementia.


I am suffering from vitamin B12 deficiency. How do I take my supplements?
Q. I have been diagnosed with vitamin b12 deficiency. as a result i get horrible nerve pain down my left leg and RLS in my left leg as well. My doctor gave me a b12 shots and told me to take supplements. how many pills do i take per day? right now im only taking one in the afternoon but should i go to 2 pills per day?

A. i take b12 for fatigue problems. I take shots and sublingual lozenges.
I take alot of b12 and have no negative side effects. As far as i know you can take as much b12 as you need to. You just urinate it out, if you take too much.

I take a shot 2 times per week and the sublingual lozenges 2 times a day. At breakfast and at dinner.
As far as i know, It should be ok to take 2 pills if it makes you feel better, but check with your dr. first.


Can a vitamin b12 deficiency cause high blood pressure?
Q. I have recently been diagnosed with a vitamin b12 deficiency and have to take injections. Can this deficiency cause me to have high blood pressure? I checked it today and it was 155/89
I checked it at Shoppers Drug Mart

A. It shouldn't where did you check it?


How long do I have to take vitamin b12 supplements to start feeling good?
Q. I just found out that I have a vitamin b12 deficiency and I just started taking the vitamins once a day. How soon will I start to feel better? Thanks to all answers!!!!!

A. OK- if you are taking cyanocobalamin, don't expect much. Cyanocobalamin is INERT. The active vitamin is Hydroxocobalamin. When you get a shot of B12, ,about 10% of the cyanocobalamin in the liquid is hydrolyzed to hydroxocobalamin, which is why the shots work. If you are not a vegan, then you cannot absorb B12 from your stomach. Taking pills you swallow is worthless. There is a sublingual Hydroxocobalamin on the market now. Studies have shown it to be 3 times more effective than the shot. If your drugstore does not have it, it is sold on Amazon. Remember - let the pill dissolve under your tongue ! It is absorbed by the oral mucosa. If you have a proven deficiency, you need to either go on the shots or the sublingual tabs. When you feel better depends on a lot of things. If you have been deficient a long time, some of the damage done may not be reversible. Otherwise, I would not expect much for at least a couple of months.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment