Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Can a vitamin d deficiency affect fertility?

Q. My husband and I have been trying to have another baby for over a year, we even tried fertility treatment but nothing worked and no one could seem to figure out why we were not conceiving. We did know that my progesterone was low but that was it. Even a RX for that didn't work. After giving up for a while I found that I have a vitamin d deficiency and have had it for well over a year...could this be why we have not conceived?

A. I honestly believe that a Vitamin D deficiency can affect your fertility. My husband and I tried for 5 years to get pregnant. Last dec I was feeling exhausted I had no strength what so ever. I went to the Dr. and they checked my vitamin D levels they were only at 4. I was diagnosed with a extreme vitamin d definacy and placed on a prescription of 50,000 units of vitamin d a week. On 01/27/10 I found out I was pregnant after just over a month of taking the vitamin d. I really think you should ask your dr for a blood to see where your levels are and if a prescription would help. Sadly I lost our son at 15 weeks due to down syndrome. I recently restarted taking the vitamin d again after stopping for a brief period. I'm hoping to have the same results with a healthy pregnancy this time around.


Can a vitamin d deficiency affect fertility?
Q. My husband and I have been trying to have another baby for over a year, we even tried fertility treatment but nothing worked and no one could seem to figure out why we were not conceiving. We did know that my progesterone was low but that was it. Even a RX for that didn't work. After giving up for a while I found that I have a vitamin d deficiency and have had it for well over a year...could this be why we have not conceived?

A. There are millions of couples in your shoes... and sometimes it's just a simple thing. we have a lot of user reviews on Conceive Plus fertility lubricant that say they have been trying for years and then got pregnant soon after using it. 70% of couples who are trying to conceive suffer from vaginal dryness even if they don't know it....

This is from the website:
Conceive Plus Fertility Lubricant is formulated for couples who are trying to conceive a baby naturally. The product has calcium and magnesium ions which are essential for the process fertilization. Clinically proven and recommended by doctors to increase the likelihood of getting pregnant.


Do I really need to take Medicine for Vitamin D Deficiency?
Q. With treatment will a Vitamin D Deficiency ever go away? It's well 9mths and still Im deficient.Does anyone know what 268.9G mean in medical term when it related to a vitamin d deficiency? Just asking?

A. Yes, keep taking the meds--they will help. Vit D deficiency can have severe consequences--its not worth courting them by skipping your meds.
Osteomalacia, a bone-thinning disorder that occurs exclusively in adults and is characterized by proximal muscle weakness and bone fragility.
Osteoporosis, a condition characterized by reduced bone mineral density and increased bone fragility.
Muscle aches and weakness (in particular proximal limb girdle)
Muscle twitching (Fasciculations)


What are the symptoms of a vitamin D deficiency?
Q. I haven't been out in the sun a lot for a while now. I was indoors for basically all the Summer and it's almost Winter now. I don't think I was even outside much before Summer. Could this help cause a vitamin D deficiency?
By the way, I'm 16, overweight, and tan.

A. Symptoms and Health Risks of Vitamin D Deficiency
Symptoms of bone pain and muscle weakness can mean you have a vitamin D deficiency. However, for many people, the symptoms are subtle. Yet even without symptoms, too little vitamin D can pose health risks. Low blood levels of the vitamin have been associated with the following:

Increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease
Cognitive impairment in older adults
Severe asthma in children
Cancer
Research suggests that vitamin D could play a role in the prevention and treatment of a number of different conditions, including type1 and type 2 diabetes, hypertension, glucose intolerance, and multiple sclerosis.

Causes of Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency can occur for a number of reasons:

You don't consume the recommended levels of the vitamin over time. This is likely if you follow a strict vegetarian diet, because most of the natural sources are animal-based, including fish and fish oils, egg yolks, cheese, and beef liver.

Your exposure to sunlight is limited. Because the body makes vitamin D when your skin is exposed to sunlight, you may be at risk of deficiency if you are homebound, live in northern latitudes, wear long robes or head coverings for religious reasons, or have an occupation that prevents sun exposure.

You have dark skin. The pigment melanin reduces the skin's ability to make vitamin D in response to sunlight exposure. Some studies show that older adults with darker skin are at high risk of vitamin D deficiency.

Your kidneys cannot convert vitamin D to its active form. As people age their kidneys are less able to convert vitamin D to its active form, thus increasing their risk of vitamin D deficiency.

Your digestive tract cannot adequately absorb vitamin D. Certain medical problems, including Crohn's disease, cystic fibrosis, and celiac disease, can affect your intestine's ability to absorb vitamin D from the food you eat.

You are obese. Vitamin D is extracted from the blood by fat cells, altering its release into the circulation. People with a body mass index of 30 or greater often have low blood levels of vitamin D.

4 Top PicksIs Your Baby Getting the Right Nutrients? Top Tips to Tame Picky Eaters 5-Minute Workout at Your Desk Alzheimer's Disease: Tips On Nutrition





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment