Monday, December 17, 2012

I am suffering from vitamin B12 deficiency. How do I take my supplements?

Q. I have been diagnosed with vitamin b12 deficiency. as a result i get horrible nerve pain down my left leg and RLS in my left leg as well. My doctor gave me a b12 shots and told me to take supplements. how many pills do i take per day? right now im only taking one in the afternoon but should i go to 2 pills per day?

A. i take b12 for fatigue problems. I take shots and sublingual lozenges.
I take alot of b12 and have no negative side effects. As far as i know you can take as much b12 as you need to. You just urinate it out, if you take too much.

I take a shot 2 times per week and the sublingual lozenges 2 times a day. At breakfast and at dinner.
As far as i know, It should be ok to take 2 pills if it makes you feel better, but check with your dr. first.


Can a vitamin b12 deficiency cause high blood pressure?
Q. I have recently been diagnosed with a vitamin b12 deficiency and have to take injections. Can this deficiency cause me to have high blood pressure? I checked it today and it was 155/89
I checked it at Shoppers Drug Mart

A. It shouldn't where did you check it?


How long do I have to take vitamin b12 supplements to start feeling good?
Q. I just found out that I have a vitamin b12 deficiency and I just started taking the vitamins once a day. How soon will I start to feel better? Thanks to all answers!!!!!

A. OK- if you are taking cyanocobalamin, don't expect much. Cyanocobalamin is INERT. The active vitamin is Hydroxocobalamin. When you get a shot of B12, ,about 10% of the cyanocobalamin in the liquid is hydrolyzed to hydroxocobalamin, which is why the shots work. If you are not a vegan, then you cannot absorb B12 from your stomach. Taking pills you swallow is worthless. There is a sublingual Hydroxocobalamin on the market now. Studies have shown it to be 3 times more effective than the shot. If your drugstore does not have it, it is sold on Amazon. Remember - let the pill dissolve under your tongue ! It is absorbed by the oral mucosa. If you have a proven deficiency, you need to either go on the shots or the sublingual tabs. When you feel better depends on a lot of things. If you have been deficient a long time, some of the damage done may not be reversible. Otherwise, I would not expect much for at least a couple of months.


How do people in India get their daily recommendation of Vitamin B12?
Q. There is a lot of discussion and research on the 'net about vitamin B12 deficiency in Vegans. By far the majority of people in India are vegetarians. How are they able to get enough B12 in their diet?

A. B12 is found in all meat products including dairy & eggs. Indians eat a lot of dairy in the form of milk & yogurt & so will be able to get Vit. B12 from that. Also, the human body recycles it's Vit. B12 & so if you got absolutely no Vit. B12 in your diet, it would take about 12 years to get a Vit. B12 deficiency.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment