Monday, December 3, 2012

What causes symptoms in pernicious anemia?

Q. I'm looking for information as to the biochemical reason for pernicious anemia causing symptoms such as sore tongue, difficulty swallowing and stomach pain. I know it's due to a B12 deficiency, but how does that extend to the symptoms I mentioned above? Please cite references if you know of any. I've been searching online for an hour with no luck. Thank you very much, and 10 points for the best answer.

A. I thought this was a result of an iron deficiency, so I looked this term up on the internet. This is what I found:

People who have pernicious anemia can't absorb enough vitamin B12 from food due to a lack of intrinsic (in-TRIN-sik) factor, a protein made in the stomach. This leads to vitamin B12 deficiency.

The condition is called pernicious ("deadly") anemia because it was often fatal in the past, before vitamin B12 treatments were available. Now, pernicious anemia usually is easy to treat with vitamin B12 pills or shots.

With ongoing care and proper treatment, most people who have pernicious anemia can recover, feel well, and live normal lives.

This article doesn't address specific symptoms, but I think you should feel fortunate that at least your symptoms helped lead you to a diagnosis and possible treatment. It also said that if left untreated it can lead to symptoms and conditions much worse that that. The inflammation in any condition is debilitating and can drain you of energy and compound or complicate any disorder. You just need a regimen to compensate for your disorder so you can mend.


Just diagnosed with vitamin b12 deficiency?
Q. I'm 17 years old and I have just been diagnosed with vitamin b12 deficiency. I'm going to be put on shots.
What does it mean and how could it have developed? What are the symptoms? Will the shots help with fatigue, mood, ect?

A. I too have a b12 deficiency.
If you're a vegetarian or vegan you're more likely to have a b12 deficiency, but I ate a diet with lots of dairy, meat and eggs! Some people have trouble with the absorption while some don't get enough through their intake.
I was always fatigued, headaches and pain all over. But it's hard to tell whether these symptoms are from the other conditions I have, or from the b12. I've read it can take years for the symptoms of a deficiency to be felt.
The shots may help, they may not but you should continue with them even if you don't feel better.
Just to let you know, the shots hurt a lot! More than any other injection I've had. The medicine is very sticky which makes it painful when it goes into the muscle. My nurse would always push quite hard into my arm where she was going to give the injection. This gets the nerves ready for the pain and it doesn't hurt so much.

Also, side note, if you can, ask your doctor if you can be tested for Celiacs disease. As soon as I was tested and went gluten free I wasn't as deficient anymore (and my folate, which I was deficient in also, is a lot better!)

...


How effective is the treatment of Vitamin B12 deficiency even when it has affected the nerves.?
Q. Are there natural remedies? How soon can one see noticeable improvements in the patients. What are the early signs that the patient is responding to the B12 injections

A. I was going to answer with this: "generally, once nerve damage has occurred as a result of B12 deficiency, treatment with B12 provides little benefit in relieving the damage." However, I just found a scientific paper from 2011 in "Nutrition Journal" that cites references to studies that found: in cases of pernicious anemia, intramuscular injections of B12 can reduce neurological symptoms. Whether or not neurological symptoms that exist independently of pernicious anemia can be successfully treated is not clear.

In this same paper, the researchers found neurological improvements from high-dose oral supplements of B12 in elderly patients with low B12 status but with no overt neurological symptoms.

Best wishes and good luck.


How much time it will it take for Vit B12 injection to show its results?
Q. I am having vit B12 levels at 96pg/ml as comapre to normal range of 250-1000pg/ml. I am taking neurobion forte injections for this. I want to know how long/how many days will it take me to reach normal level of vit B12? And how much time will it take for the symptoms of vit b12 deficiency to disappear?

A. I am so not an expert on this, esp the shots. But I have to share my experience with you. I JUST (yesterday) started sublingual (under the tongue) B complex. The product is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Valley-Vitamin-B-Complex-Sublingual/dp/B001QVGL1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337904107&sr=8-1

A pharmacist recommended it to me. It cost about $5.00 at Walmart (amazon is way overpriced), a 2 ounce bottle which is 60 doses (once a day dose) The link has all the nutrition facts of it. Key fact is that each dose offers 20,000% of the recommended daily value of B12.

I have only taken it twice: once yesterday with my dinner, and once this morning before work. Before lunch today (this is like...16 hours after buying it!) I noticed that I felt so...good. Rested, energized, focused. CALM! Not at all the same as the effect from caffeine or sugar (energy roller coaster)...and nowhere near the crackhouse feeling of energy drinks which make me queasy and jittery.

For what it is worth...
1. 43 year old female. I am not in the best of health but not complaining. I am overweight. I am dealing with the early onset of Texas summer heat which has made me a lot more tired lately.

2. I am phobic of injections so B12 shots like what you are getting...were not an option. I have tried B complex pills and noticed no change.

3. I have used all kind of caffeine drinks in the past. I still enjoy them, but I didn't NEED them today.

I hope that is some information you can use. Just a personal testimony about sublingual. It doesn't have to be a big whooop. Not expensive, not prescription, no needles! This stuff is magical.

I wonder if your injections are necessary. If it was me, I would certainly be grateful to know about sublingual. I haven't had the shots but honestly, I can't imagine feeling any better than I did today.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment