Tuesday, March 12, 2013

what do i say if i have to talk to a group about vitamin c deficiency diseases?

Q. i have to talk about 'scurvy' 'rickets' and something like 'berry berry' to a large group at a pirate themed camp for kids aged nine to twelve. i also have to make smoothies with lots of vitamins, but i really need something to say to the group about lack of vitamin c and the diseases that apply to it.

A. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is essential for the formation of bone and connective tissue (which binds other tissues and organs together). Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron, and it helps burns and wounds heal. Like vitamin E, vitamin C is an antioxidant: It protects cells against damage by free radicals, which are reactive by-products of normal cell activity. Vitamin C deficiency causes scurvy. In adults, the deficiency usually results from a diet low in vitamin C. For example, vitamin C deficiency may develop in people who eat only such foods as dried meat, tea, toast, and canned vegetables. Smoking increases the vitamin C requirement by 30 to 50%. Surgery, and burns can significantly increase the body's requirements for vitamin C and the risk of vitamin C deficiency. The diagnosis of scurvy is based on symptoms. Blood tests detect a very low level of vitamin C. Scurvy is treated with daily vitamin C supplements. Such treatment plus iron supplements can cure the anemia.


How long does it take to cure anemia with assistance of iron supplement?
Q. I have iron-deficiency anemia, my iron level is dangerously low (it's 8.5 and average is between 40-200), yesterday I went to the doctor and she gave me some special iron pills and told me to take them twice a day. With my current condition and taking these pills twice a day (with vitamin C pills), how long do you think it will take for my iron count to go up and my anemia symptoms to begin disappearing?

Thanks! :)

A. usually your blood test will be repeated in 2 to 6 months. you should start to see an improvement slowly over the next weeks and months.


Is there a limit at how much Vitamin C is actually useful?
Q. Im asking because I am sick so my friend gave me Emergen-C that has about 1,600% of your daily vitamin C.
I don't believe you can overdose on Vitamin C, but does your body keep absorbing Vitamin C? Or after like say a few hundred percent does your body just ignore the rest?

A. Although it is rare, vitamin C overdose is possible. Some symptoms include upset stomach & nausea. It can also sometimes cause kidney stones & copper deficiencies


How to tell a doctor I think I have Scurvy?
Q. I mean, I don't want to sound like an idiot going to a hospital and saying "I think I have scurvy"
But I have every single symptom of scurvy, and it fits. Because I only go outside maybe 15 minutes in an entire week, and I haven't drank or taken any vitamin C in god knows how long. So I'm pretty sure that's what I have, any suggestions?

A. Going outside for only 15 minutes a week is a good way to develop vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency leads to calcium deficiency. Vitamin D is key to calcium absorption. Calcium is needed for clotting so bruising is a listed symptom of calcium deficiency. You may have vitamin C deficiency but there are many other bleeding disorders as well to look into.

Symptoms of vitamin D deficiency:
http://www.drfranklipman.com/symptoms-diseases-associated-with-vitamin-d-deficiency/

Symptoms of calcium deficiency:
http://www.localhealth.com/article/calcium-deficiency/symptoms

Scurvy:
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Scurvy?open

Bleeding and Bruising: A Diagnostic Work-up:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2008/0415/p1117.html





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment