Sunday, March 10, 2013

Are there different types of vitamin B-12? Or they are all the same?

Q. Are there different types of vitamin B-12? Or they are all the same? Thanks
Thanks guys

A. cyanocobalamin (C63H88N14O14PCo)

a complex water-soluble organic compound that is essential to a number of microorganisms and animals, including humans. Vitamin B12 aids in the development of red blood cells in higher animals. The vitamin, which is unique in that it contains a metallic ion, cobalt, has a complex chemical structure

hydroxocobalamin (C62H89CoN13O15P)

a member of the vitamin B12 group used in treating and preventing vitamin B12 deficiency

I would suggest looking into methylcobalamin. Can be found in tablet form and no need of injections.

Edit: By the time that I finally found the one site that I listed in my source, seems that the first answer got several thumbs down - which I was NOT part of.


What type of food has a good source of vitamin B-12?
Q. Just wondering what type of foods have a good source of vitamin B-12. I tried looking it up but everything was meat and i'm a vegetarian... ha ha :) thanks!

A. Red Star Nutritional Yeast and Spirulina are the old vegan standby sources. Going veg can be scary! But, don't let the fear-mongering, misinformed, know-it-alls scare you or try to capitalize on your fear for that matter. Many groups and societies have survived on vegetarian and vegan diets for hundreds of years - without the whole deficiency nitpicking jive. They always knew that a balanced diet was the key to good health. I and my husband (and many other vegans/vegetarians that we know and have met) have been vegan/vegetarian for more than 20 years. None of us struggle with diet related and/or nutrient deficiencies and we don't sit around wondering where we will get our B-12 or about the combining of foods in order to absorb it. We make sure that we eat a balanced diet of whole foods and we are fine. The whole protein, calcium, iron and B-12 deficiency scare in a healthy, balanced veg diet, is just that, a scare. I'm sure that you will find that only people with unhealthy, unbalanced diets (veg or not) develop deficiencies. That is excluding genetic disorders, chronic illnesses or eating disorders of course; but if you don't fall into that category: just keep eating your greens and take care:)


What is the connection between taking vitamin B-12 and the risk of blood clots?
Q. I read that a deficiency can massively increase the risk of clotting (and supplementation decreases risk), but I also read that taking B-12 supplements (higher than normal doses) can carry a risk of blood clots. Am I at risk of clotting if I regularly take a B-12 pill which has a 5000%DV? Thanks.

A. Cut the amount you are taking in half for a safe dose. A maximum daily dosage has not been established for the vitamin, due to its non-toxic nature.
Possible side effects include:
Diarrhea
Blood clots in the legs
Feelings of swelling over the entire body
Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
Hives or a rash
Itching
Swelling of the lips, mouth, or throat
Wheezing or other difficulty breathing...


Is it better to take iron as a single supplement or a multivitamin?
Q. I have iron-deficiency anemia and I'm below 10.5 for my hemoglobin. My doctor and I have been over the fact that I need a supplement, but I'm not sure if I should take plain iron glycinate or a multivitamin designed for teens. The singular supplement has vitamin C, folic acid, and vitamin B-12. The multivitamin contains the usual concoction, but less iron.

Is either better than the other? The singular supplement is 28mg.

A. Take the supplement. You need the higher concentration of iron, not the additional vitamins in the multivitamin.

Taking two mulitivitamins is not the answer. That will give you too much of several vitamins.

Despite the very common belief that more is better, research clearly shows that for many vitamins, more is harmful.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment